Saturday, November 15, 2014

Who's going to save me from being single?

If you're apart of the elite group of "singles" please continue to read. If by chance you find yourself committed to someone, and fear ever entering back into singlehood, you may want to continue reading too.
Well, as another year ends, a birthday has passed, and even several holidays where I promised myself I would be in a relationship by now have come and gone. The chilly weather has arrived, and to be honest, the only thing keeping me warm now a days is a fleece jacket and knee high boots I bought myself last Christmas. Yes. The single life. Not that being completely dateless for all major holidays is enough of a reminder that I'm in my late 20s and still single, I have constant reminder of this singlehood by the constant questions of  "Oh, when are you getting married?", "Do you plan on getting married soon? You're getting old." and my favorite question of them all, "When are you going to have a wedding to invite us to?". Yes. I know. I'm always the bridesmaid, and never the bride...do I really need anymore reminders though?
 
If getting in a relationship was as easy as many "non singles" made it to be, I do believe that instead of purchasing knee high boots for myself last Christmas, they would have been a gift from "him" instead of from "yours truly.". I've spent most of my life hating and despising the single life. I remember how horrible I made my 25th birthday, consumed and drowning in the self pity of my own despair. All because, unlike many of my friends, I saw another birthday ...
single!
After getting through that, I promised myself that I would never have another birthday like that again. So what did I do?
Did I meet someone and fall in love, and was saved from this  horrible single life?
Was my biggest prayer answered, and was a handsome, Christian man dropped from the sky right into my living room?
No.
I just found myself loving to be single.
I know, how cliché' is that? But I did! I came to realize that it was time for me to "Ring the Alarm!", tell every man he was "Irreplaceable", I came to realize, I needed someone who saw me as "Flawless"
(Yes. these are all Beyoncé references)
but you get the point.
The question that I began to ask myself was simple; why is being in a relationship so important? Other than having dates for holidays that were meant to be spent with someone, I realized I was just looking for someone to save me. Yes, save me from living single. I wanted to have someone that could save me from those days where life has kicked me down to only kick me down again. I craved a relationship, because like many, I wanted to date, travel, and have fun with someone. But just like any "ah-ha" moment, it hit me.
I was looking for a relationship to save me, when God created me to save myself.
I could and have very well, attended holiday dinners/functions dateless; I've learned to get in the boxing ring with "life" and fight...and even win! I've traveled and seen new places (well, a few places) alone or with my best friend.  
My dear, living single doesn't mean that you have to hate this season, and it definitely doesn't mean that you have to wait for someone to save you from the world. You were created to be whole alone, just not to remain alone. Enjoy this season singles. Just think..
who can save you better, than you can save yourself?

No comments:

Post a Comment