Saturday, March 22, 2014

Too Busy Searching for Superman.



I too have made the mistake. You know, the mistake of falling for the obvious, instead of being patient enough for what's not. The older we get, the more we realize what qualities we all are truly looking for our potential mate.
 
No Kids. Check.
College Degree. Check
Nice Smile. Check
Etc. Etc. Etc.
 
Throughout our time of being single,  that checklist is constantly carried around, just to see who may meet our standards. But what is done when we meet someone , that doesn't quite fit our checklist...just yet? I often see many people making the mistakes of searching for "Superman". Now, Im not saying that I haven't searched for him either, but I like to think I've finally seen Superman, for who he truly is.
 
To most women, he's everything on that checklist. No kids, college degree, nice smile, etc...So in the meantime of yearning for Superman, we ignore those who aren't quite there yet. The reason many of us are single is not because there are no good men left. It's not that they're all married off, or married to white women. It's because we find ourselves ignoring them for the qualities they lack.
Where am I going with this?
Well...
Let me explain.
 
Instantly, when we meet a man, that checklist is pulled from our purse with a pen in hand, and we scroll down that list. The moment he doesn't posses that particular quality, we instantly throw him into the pile of "not good enough". I'm not saying that what is on that list isn't essential to have a growing relationship, but I am saying that some things aren't as important as we think. Don't get me wrong..Dont Settle. No man or relationship is worth that. But in finding Superman, you may see that some qualities aren't that damn important.
 
So what if he doesn't make as much as you, or can't instantly support you? If support is all that you're looking for, you're searching for the right man...Superman. He's there to save you and leave you. Personally for me, I don't need saving...I need investing.
Im not looking for someone that can save me from my own struggles; I'm searching for someone who is willing to invest support, love, and patience throughout the process.
 
Lets be honest with ourselves.
Some of us are still single not because no good men exist,
It's because we're too busy chasing Superman.
 
But we often forget...
Before he was Superman

He was Clark Kent.

No comments:

Post a Comment