Wednesday, March 19, 2014

I wanted that wedding dress...



Proverbs 8:22
"He who finds a wife, finds a good thing, and favor from the Lord"

"I have to find my wedding dress!" I blurted out while in David's Bridal in Jacksonville, FL. Other than the ring, that's the next BIG thing to a woman after her engagement. We hurry to get our nails done to take those pictures for facebook and instagram; with our perfect manicure displaying our ring, and then hurry to gather our friends together to help on our attempt to find the perfect wedding dress. You see, this dress will be the last thing we wear in our "old" lives, and the first piece of clothing that follows us into our "married" lives. It has to be perfect; it has to fit just right. The color can't be off (despite how many arguments we have on wearing white) and losing those last 10lbs will always help avoid the dress from appearing too tight. 

Yes, I needed to find the perfect dress! I needed to find the one that was created just for me!! But only one thing was missing.... well maybe a few. 
I didn't have the engagement ring, I didn't have the proposal, and hell, I didn't even have the man. For me, searching for the perfect wedding dress was my way in coming into agreement with God. I had to prove to Him that I believed that my "appointed one" does exist, despite my own doubts. This dress was my way in making a believer out of myself, because after the last couple of men I had dated, I had reached the point of not believing. Now, I know, 24 is a little too young to be panicking about not being married or having any potential candidates; but after watching several colleagues and friends make that merry stroll down the aisle to meet their "appointed one", I found myself timing my pace according to theirs.

I often struggled with praying for that potential mate. I would find myself frustrated at the voice of God, as He replied back, "No, not now." So then I would wait; about a month or two before putting myself back out there again, to only meet a man who was "good enough", to only be back on my knees praying that same "Lord, this man is for me...." prayer, and finding myself frustrated yet again at His voice replying "No, not now! Not this one!".

I remember once when I was 23, having this dream that caused me to wake up in tears, because for once, this dream was far better than reality.
I sat in this white chair while my grandmother smiled from across the room as my mother brushed my hair. "Now Tchernavia, you're his good thing, don't you forget that!" my grandmother said with a smile still plastered to her face. As I looked down, I noticed I was dressed in all white. Not just a normal white, but a bright white that could blind even the onlookers from outside of the venue we were in. Confused as to what was going on and where I was, my mother helped place the veil on my head and covered my face.
VEIL?!?!
I found myself even more confused, so I asked "Who am I marrying?". Immediately, the smile that was once plastered onto my grandmothers face was removed with a frown as she replied "Tchernavia! Don't you start this today! You're going to walk down that aisle and you're going to be his good thing!"

I understood that. The job was simple. I was to walk down the aisle in this beautiful, bright white dress and accept the role of being his good thing; but the job was not what had me hesitant---it was the mystery man.
As my uncle wrapped his arm around mine,, he walked me down the aisle with glee, as he laughed and said "Now, I can walk you right out of here!". I remember looking at him replying "No, this is obviously what I've been appointed to do---
Be his good thing!"
We made it to the end of the aisle and there he was! The man who was mine! he was going to belong to me! With no competition, no pleading, just easily mine; and all I had to say was "I do" in agreeing to be his good thing!

But, before I did; I woke up.

Wait?!? What?!?! Life decided to wake me up int he middle of this perfect dream, and make me realize that the dress, the veil, and even the ring weren't real. Other than being highly disappointed by my perfect dream, l discovered my mission...
which simple:
Be. His. Good. Thing.

I still often worry about getting married. It does bother me a great deal. But overtime, I had to realize that goal was never rush the process in order to get the facebook/instagram pictures, the ring, or even finding the perfect wedding dress.
We are so much bigger than those mere things that we find ourselves attempting to settle for.

You see, along with all that....

My goal is to be his good thing!

1 comment:

  1. Love it and you keep doing your thing and your blessing will come

    ReplyDelete